Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Gruyere, White Bean, Carmelized Onion & Apple Pizzas

This tasty treat is on regular rotation at our house.  Any time a friend gives me some rosemary from their garden, this recipe is my first thought!  I usually double the amount of rosemary called for, I love the flavor.  I've also found this freezes well, and have often thought this yummy dish would be great served as a warm appetizer at a party.

 
Individual Pizzas with Gruyere, Carmelized Onions and Apples

4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced (I use a little less)
2 medium red apples, halved, cored, and thinly sliced
2 cans (15 oz each) white beans, drained and rinsed
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 dried rosemary, crumbled (I use a whole lot more)
4 whole wheat tortillas (8 inch)
2 cups shredded Gruyere cheese (8 oz) (I use the shredded Gruyere/Swiss blend from Traders)
1/4 cup chopped pecans

1. Heat oven to 450
2. In a large skillet, warm 2 tsp oil over medium heat.  Add onions and toss to coat.  Add 3/4 cup water, bring to a boil, and cook 5 min longer.
3. Add apple slices and cook until apples are crips-tender, onions are golden, and liquid has evaporated, 7-10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mash beans with remaining 2 tsp oil, lemon juice, salt, rosemary, & three Tbsp water.
5.  Place tortillas on 2 large baking sheets.  Spread beans evenly over tortillas.  Top with the onion-apple mixture, cheese & pecans.
6.  Bake about 5 minutes, until pizzas are piping hot and cheese has melted.  Serve hot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment